Eastwood (4mm scale, P4 gauge)
Eastwood was a station between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge built by the Manchester and Leeds Railway, later to become the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. This was part of the Calder Valley Main Line from Manchester to Normanton. The station opened in 1841 but closed in 1951. The line is still in use and although some traces of the station remain, little now exists.
The station was built on the original site of Eastwood Chapel, but little evidence of its existence remains. In its heyday it was a busy place with local and long distant trains stopping. Many people used the station to commute to factories in Rochdale and further afield to Manchester.
The station is on a double track mainline with staggered platforms. It had a small yard with trailing connections from both up and down lines. It also had sidings to a small mill and a loop serving coal drops which we believe met both domestic and industrial demand for coal. Behind the coal drops, the scene is dominated by Cockden Mill (known locally as Dan Crabtree’s). It was a mixed mill covering most of the textile processes, but especially dyeing.
The layout represents Eastwood as it was shortly after the Great War.
Find out more about the real Eastwood and its station at the Charlestown History Group.
Exhibition Managers Notes
- Model – overall Footprint 32ft by 12ft
- Space required – at least 34ft x 14ft
- One table and two chairs required for repairs and maintenance
- Eight operators.
- Operated from inside, the layout has its own lighting. Track height is approximately 4ft
- Transport: hired van and two cars required.